HISTORY AND TRADITION
The Cochran School of Nursing was founded in 1894 with funds provided by Mr. and Mrs. William F. Cochran. Mrs. Cochran was the daughter of Alexander Smith, founder of the historic Alexander Smith Carpet Company, which for many years was an integral part of the Yonkers community.
For more than a hundred years the Cochran School of Nursing, the oldest nursing school in Westchester County, has prepared students for careers in all phases of nursing. Cochran graduates now numbering over 2,291, have served in hospitals and in a wide range of other community health facilities throughout the United States, as well as in the armed forces, including duty in every war since the Spanish American up to and including the Persian Gulf War.
The school is housed in the North Wing of St. John's Riverside Hospital. The school offers a day and an evening hospital-based program leading to the Associate in Applied Science degree with a major in Nursing. Graduates take the licensing examination for Registered Nurse.
The school is affiliated with Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry, New York and SUNY Delhi.
Cochran School of Nursing is currently registered with the State of New York Education Department and is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). Contact information is listed below for any questions, concerns, or complaints:
The State Education Department Division of Professional Education, 89 Washington Avenue, 2nd Floor, West Wing, Albany, NY 12234-1000, Phone:(518) 488-2967; Fax:(518) 473-0114.
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3343 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia, 30326,
Phone:(404) 975-5000; Fax:(404) 975-5020.