Financial Aid Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for aid you must complete the following:
1. Fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
2. You and your parents will be able to "sign" the application electronically by getting a PIN (Personal Identification Number) at pin.ed.gov.
3. To file the FAFSA, you will need:
- Copy of you and your parents' most recent federal tax return (if you are married, a copy of your spouse's tax returns if filing separately)
- Cochran School code: 006443
*Note: the sooner you file, the better. Filing early makes it easier to determine what additional monies you might need.
Are you Eligible?
In addition to documenting financial need, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen - Students with permanent resident status must provide alien registration information
- Be regularly admitted to and enrolled at Cochran School of Nursing as a matriculated student
Pell: Federal Grant depending on EFC (expected family contribution). If this is your first time going to college, you may be eligible. If you have already received your bachelor’s degree, you are not eligible.
Tap: State Grant. You must take 12 credits or more to be eligible. You are only allowed 8 semesters. Also, you must be a New York State Resident.
* The need is calculated by using the following formula: EFC – COA (cost of attendance = Need)
Subsidized loan – Need based, you do not pay interest or principal back until 6 months after graduation.
Unsubsidized loan – Not need based, you start paying interest back 60 days after the second disbursement. Must be independent.
Parent Loan – Up to cost of attendance. Must be dependent.