Once accepted, students must submit evidence of a recent (1 year) Physical Examination completed by their Primary Health Care Provider.
Correction of any health problem that would interfere with the practice of nursing prior to enrollment into the school.
The applicant must obtain health clearance once accepted to the program. In addition, the applicant must meet the following physical requirements:
•Visual acuity must be adequate to read words, graphs, charts, instruments, and observe color changes.
• Auditory acuity must be sufficient to hear spoken words and body sounds with a stethoscope.
• Speech must be clear to communicate verbally in Standard English with clients, patients and their families and with other members of the health profession.
• Sense of touch must be sensitive enough to feel for temperature and for size, shape and movement of parts of the human body.
• Sense of smell must be acute enough to detect odors (breath, drainage) that indicate changes in the status of the client/patient and unsafe environmental conditions (gas, smoke).
• Physical stamina must be sufficient to move freely and to assist in moving (lifting, transporting, ambulating) and in positioning clients/patients of all ages.
• Manual dexterity must be proficient enough to allow for proper utilization of equipment (syringes, catheters, manometers, etc.) during nursing care.
• Cognitive and reasoning abilities must be sufficient to interpret findings and apply knowledge to practice.
APPLICANT WITH A DISABILITY
The Cochran School of Nursing provides reasonable accommodations for all students whose documented disabilities will otherwise place them at a disadvantage in the completion of the nursing program.
Applicants needing reasonable accommodations must provide the necessary and properly signed documentation at the time of admission or prior to taking the entrance exam.
If an applicant has a physical or mental disability, the applicant should discuss this before admission testing. The applicant will be advised to contact the Disability Officer for the disability procedure. (See Policy S-9)
NO STUDENT WILL BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND CLASS WITHOUT COMPLETE HEALTH CLEARANCE. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS